Module 1: Propulsion Plant Concepts and Basic Ship Hydrodynamics
To understand alternative propulsion plant concepts, the basics of ship resistance and the main characteristics of fixed pitch propellers, controllable pitch propellers and water jets.
This module is the basis for marine propulsion system design and starts by discussing alternative propulsion plant concepts.
• Main components of a propulsion plant and their functions
• Load and drive characteristics
• Types of energy conversion
• Direct drive propulsion
• Geared drive
• Multiple shafts and combined drives
• Electrical concepts
• All electric ship concept
• Hybrid drives
The second subject covers the basics of ship resistance and the main characteristics of fixed pitch propellers, controllable pitch propellers and water jets.
• Hull resistance characteristics
• Resistance as a function of displacement
• Influence of fouling and seaways
• Interaction between hull and propulsor
• Efficiencies within the propulsion train
• Types of propulsors
• Actuator disc theory
• Propeller open water diagram
• Optimum propeller diameter and speed
• Water jet operational diagram
Target group and lecturers
This module is of interest to designers, engineers and sales engineers working with system integrators, engine transmission and propulsor manufacturers/representatives, electrical engineering firms, shipyards, navies, design offices and ship owners. HME organises the module ‘Propulsion Plant Concepts and Basic Ship Hydrodynamics’ in close cooperation with Delft University of Technology and Royal Netherlands Naval College. The trainers are the well known and respected Prof. Douwe Stapersma and ir. Peter de Vos.
19 and 20 September 2013
09.00 – 17.00
FME in Zoetermeer (NL)
Between 12 and 20
Members Holland Marine Equipment Association or The Netherlands’ Shipbuilding Industry Association (VNSI) members € 845,-
non-members € 1.045,-
These fees include all training materials, catering and lunches, but exclude 21% VAT.
Click here to register. After registration you will receive a written confirmation of participation, including a route description and a list of nearby hotels.
For further information, please contact HME’s Manager Professional Training Jan Adriaan Krans T: +31(0)10 44 44 333 or E: email@example.com.